ROLES OF GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
1. Academic scheduling to meet all requirements
2. Personal counseling.
3. Parent-teacher conferences.
4. Maintain student records.
5. School testing program.
6. Coordination with BOCES and community agencies.
7. Academic scheduling to meet all requirements.
8. Career and college planning.
Access to Student Records
1. Students records are available only to parents, legal guardians or students eighteen years of age or older.
2. They may be examined under the supervision of the principal or guidance counselor.
3. Copies of documents must be requested in writing. Copies will be provided as quickly as possible at a minimal cost.
4. Confidential student records may be sent to or obtained from agencies only with written parental approval.
Parent conferences are scheduled twice a year for all students in elementary and by request of teacher/ parent for high school students. This takes place at the completion of the first and third marking periods (November and April). If a parent has a preference for conference time, he/she should let the teacher and/or guidance counselor know early in the year.
Parents are welcome to meet with teachers at any time and are encouraged to contact the school for a conference at any time if they have concerns. If a parent wishes to meet with a teacher, however, we ask that you contact the Guidance Office ahead of time to make an appointment. We ordinarily will not disrupt class time for conferences.
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities are expected to meet the same graduation requirements as all other students with modifications recommended and mandated by the Committee on Special Education (CSE). Alternative testing techniques are allowed and additional support provided if the CSE indicates this on the student's IEP (Individual Education Plan).
New York State law allows school districts to grant both local certificates of completion and IEP diplomas to students with disabilities under certain conditions. Check with the Chairperson of Special Education office for details.